“The application of GIS is limited only by the imagination of those who use it”.
~ Jack Dangermond, Esri
Learning GIS (geographical information systems) requires GIS training in mapping, database management, and spatial analysis. :
Course Outline and Objectives :
The course will introduce the main concepts in GIS and Remote Sensing. The introductory part gives a theoretical and practical grounding into aspects of Geographic Information systems and Remote Sensing. The course will be a combination of theory and practicals.
By the end of the conference students should be able to:
• Define and appreciate the utility of Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
• Describe the various key concepts undertaken under Geographic Information systems.
• Use GIS software to map different phenomena
• Acquire different data sets using remote sensing (data collection)
• Appreciate the methods of data collection in the field
• Perform Data analysis and mapping in a GIS
Basic digital literacy is needed to complete the practicals
Requirements of the course
• Dual core laptops or desktop computers
• Internet connection to download satellite images
• GIS software’s
Nb: Some open software’s will be provided together with this tutorial
Course Outline :
• Principles of Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing Overview
• Remote Sensing Concept
• Components in Remote Sensing
• Types of Remote Sensing
• Coordinate Systems and Map Projections
• The Global Positioning Systems (GPS) for data collection
• Principles of Geo-referencing and Methods of digitizing data.
• Map Design
• Types and Uses of Satellites
• Spatial Analysis in a GIS
GIS Software for Zimbabwe and Africa
Businesses; governments, individuals, research organisations and GIS users around the world are embracing commercial GIS software and some freely available GIS tools because it just makes more business sense to choose a GIS software package. We provide a variety of GIS software and training. We also provide useful GPS devices to help track your assets, keys, phones, pets, children.Take a look:
GIS & Remote Sensing in Summary
Satellite information is fundamentally important if we are going to solve some of the major challenges of our time. For issues like climate change, natural resources, disaster management and the environment, remote sensing provides a wealth of information at a global scale. What we get are answers to these problems so we can make informed decisions.
Mapping, Cartography, Photogrammetry
There are endless possibilities of benefits to society from remote sensing. With higher spatial, spectral and temporal resolution, the future of remote sensing is promising.
If we are going to take on some of the biggest challenges of Earth in the near future, we need remote sensing to cover that much ground. Thanks to @NASA_Landsat for the Tweet! NASA Landsat Twitter …And thanks to NASA Terra Satellite!